FareStart has been helping people transform their lives through food for nearly 30 years — one person, one job and one community at a time.
People in poverty struggle to escape the cycle they are in and often face other compounding barriers to getting and keeping a job. At FareStart, we help people overcome those barriers by teaching them work and life skills they need to succeed in the foodservice industry — and in life. Through our restaurants, cafes, catering and programs that provide meals to social services, shelters and schools in the Seattle area, participants in our programs get practical work experience while giving back to their community.
By investing in people and building community, we transform homelessness, hunger and poverty into human potential.
Vision: Every individual has the opportunity to thrive in an equitable and just world.
Mission: FareStart transforms lives, disrupts poverty and nourishes communities through food, life skills and job training.
Values: We will deliver on our mission by living our values.
- Acceptance: We build relationships based on the belief that the past informs but does not dictate the future.
- Respect: We treat everyone with dignity, regardless of background or differences. We actively listen and seek first to understand. We are honest, even when it is difficult.
- Openness: We create a culture of trust through transparency and open communication. We are open to new ideas.
- Collaboration: Contribute positively to strengthen the organization and our impact through teamwork and through partnerships.
- Accountability: We are responsible to each other, to our community and ourselves. We are committed to rigorous evaluation and making fiscally responsible decisions that align with our mission.
- Inclusion: We provide a community of belonging, regardless of background. We value and seek out diversity.
- Growth: We are a learning organization. We invest in continuous improvement and growth.