FareStart is fortunate to be the recipient of the hard work of our talented and dedicated volunteers. Volunteers provide invaluable assistance to FareStart with special events, benefits, shelter delivery runs, serving on strategic committees, and other special projects throughout the organization. A few hours a week can make a tremendous difference!
Due to the nature of the FareStart student population, we do not accept volunteers under the age of 18 onsite. We are not accepting court ordered community service volunteers at this time.
To begin volunteering at FareStart, please visit our volunteer registration page.
Current Volunteer Opportunities:
- Computer Lab Volunteer: Our Student Services department is seeking volunteer assistance to help students build resumes, write cover letters, perform job searches and learn basic functions of MS Word. With one-on-one attention from a long-term volunteer in the lab, men and women have a greater opportunity to find meaningful work in our community. An individual who speaks Spanish would be a great benefit. The schedule for this position is Tuesday afternoons, 3 to 4 p.m. at the FareStart building on 7th and Virginia. This is an ongoing, weekly volunteer opportunity with a minimum 6 month commitment. All candidates must be willing to pass a background check.
- Catalyst Kitchens Digital Archivist and General Office Admin Volunteer: Catalyst Kitchens is seeking a highly organized volunteer to help with digital archiving and general office tasks. Duties would include organizing network shared folders and archiving old documents, organizing office space and some packaging and shipping when required. Ideal volunteers will have past experience with digital filing and archiving, general office admin, the MS Office suite and is PC literate. This position requires approximately 2 to 4 hours a week in the FareStart offices; one flexible morning per week (Mon, Tues, Thurs or Fri). All candidates must be willing to pass a background check and to commit to volunteering for 3 months.
- Catalyst Kitchens Copy Editor/Writer Volunteer: Catalyst Kitchens is seeking a volunteer with a background in writing, advertising, copy-editing or journalism to help spread standardized practices across social enterprises working to end homelessness and feed those in need. Duties would include transcribing, reformatting, writing and copy editing business and promotional materials in MS office suite on PC. This position requires approximately 2 to 4 hours a week in the FareStart offices; one flexible afternoon per week (Tues, Thurs or Fri). All candidates must be willing to pass a background check and to commit to volunteering for 3 months.
- Guest Chef Night Support Volunteer: Our Front of House team is seeking a passionate volunteer to help with reservations for Guest Chef Night. Duties would be making confirmation calls to restaurant diners who have made Guest Chef Night reservations by phone for the following week. This position requires approximately 1 hour a week in the FareStart offices; from 2 to 3 p.m. on Friday. All candidates must be willing to pass a background check and commit to volunteering for 3 months.
- Development Support Volunteer: Our Development department is seeking a passionate volunteer to help in the FareStart Development Department. Duties would include organizing, archiving and filing. This position requires approximately 2 to 6 hours a week in the FareStart offices during regular business hours. All candidates must be willing to pass a background check and commit to volunteering for 2 months.
- Study Hall Volunteer: People with big hearts and basic math skills needed! Patient, accepting and compassionate tutor needed to help out at a weekly study hall. A general understanding of basic math including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division with fractions is a must. Confidence working with people of all races, age, gender and learning ability also a must. This is a one hour per week opportunity with openings currently on Monday either from noon to 1 p.m. or 3 to 4 p.m. The noon to 1 p.m. volunteer must be willing to train for a few weeks during the 3 to 4 p.m. study hall. All candidates must be willing to pass a background check and to commit to 3 out of 4 weeks per month.
- Mock Interview Volunteer: Our Student Services department is seeking volunteers to conduct mock interviews. We are looking for individuals who will be able to provide a real-life interview experience for students and will be able to identify and communicate the students' strengths and opportunities. This is an invaluable experience for our students and plays a crucial part in their success. The ideal volunteer will have experience either in recruiting/HR or hiring and managing in the culinary field. Mock interviews occur on Wednesday mornings from 8 to 10 a.m. once every six weeks at FareStart.
- Shelter Meal Delivery: This is our greatest volunteer need! On a shelter run, you help pack up meals for transportation and deliver them to local homeless shelters, then have an opportunity to serve dinner at the Downtown Emergency Service Center alongside FareStart chefs and students. No driving necessary. Volunteers must be able to lift 50 lbs. Shelter runs happen daily from 3 to 6:30 p.m.
- Contract Kitchen Volunteer (for individuals and groups): FareStart prepares and delivers meals 365 days a year to several area homeless shelters. Kitchen prep volunteer opportunities take place Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (sometimes ending earlier) on days when we have fewer students. We can take individuals or groups of up to 10 people to help prepare food alongside FareStart's chefs and students.
- Guest Chef Night Volunteering: A weekly highlight for the FareStart community is Thursday Guest Chef Night, held at the FareStart Restaurant at 7th & Virginia. Since 1994, Guest Chef Night has raised more than $4 million, revenue which has gone directly back into our program, to support our student job training and placement services. Every Thursday night, a different Guest Chef works with the students to prepare a three-course meal for over 200 guests served at the FareStart Restaurant. Hard-working community volunteers serve the diners and 100% of the proceeds and gratuities from the evening goes back to fund student services and training.
- Individuals: We are actively recruiting for Guest Chef Night Individual Volunteers! Help the FareStart team execute the evening. Roles include: food running, barista, captain (work with community group), hostess … etc. Must be willing to do most roles. Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and stand for 5 hours. Thursdays 4:45-9:45pm Requires an ongoing/long-term commitment of a minimum of once per month.
- Groups(13-15 people): Booked through 2014,
but currently taking names for 2015. Serve the evening’s meal and help fill the restaurant to raise funds for FareStart’s programs! Your hard work is rewarded by a tasty meal. No heavy lifting or previous experience required, for groups of 15. Thursdays: 4-10pm.
In addition to these ongoing opportunities we also have one time projects and special events for which we recruit volunteers. Sign up to receive volunteer opportunity updates by email.
To apply for these and other volunteer opportunities, please visit our volunteer registration page.
If you have additional questions on volunteering, please contact FareStart’s Community Engagement Coordinator, Erika Van Merr, by emailing email@example.com or calling 206-267-6223.
Are you interested in interning with FareStart? We have a number of internships annually.
- Special Event Internships twice per year for each of our major fundraising events.
- Nutritional/Dietetic Internships (the length of this internship varies depending on mutual arrangement).
We do not currently have any other internships available. Our schedule for the special event internship is as follows:
Spring/Summer Special Event Internship:
Internship Period: March 15th –July 1st
Applications accepted until February 15th
Decision: March 1st
Summer/Fall Special Event Internship:
Internship Period: July 15th or 22nd—November 1st
Applications accepted until June 24th
Decision: July 9st
If you are in college, check with your school about receiving academic credit and/or stipend for your internship at FareStart.
Minimum requirements for internships at FareStart:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Able to commit to the full internship period 15 to 30 hours per week for 10-16 weeks
- Able to lift 50 lbs
- Show a high level of interest in related fields such as food justice, homeless issues, poverty, nutrition, hunger, social enterprise model, fundraising, special events and/or education
- Provide at least 3 professional references
To apply, send a cover letter and resumé to:
Attn: Volunteer Program
700 Virginia Street
Seattle, WA 98101
Fax: (206) 441-7543
FareStart also seeks dynamic individuals for part time and full time paid positions. Please refer to our Employment Opportunities