FareStart is fortunate to be the recipient of the hard work of our talented and dedicated volunteers. Volunteers provide invaluable assistance to FareStart with special events, benefits, shelter delivery runs, serving on strategic committees, and other special projects throughout the organization. A few hours a week can make a tremendous difference!
A few important items to keep in mind before volunteering:
- All volunteers must register in advance of volunteering. Please do not just show up; if you do you may be turned away.
- Due to the nature of the FareStart student population, we do not accept volunteers under the age of 18 on site.
- We are not accepting court-ordered community service volunteers at this time.
To begin volunteering at FareStart, please visit our volunteer registration page.
Current Volunteer Opportunities:
- Lead Generator Volunteer: FareStart is looking for a volunteer to support the Catalyst Kitchens team by searching the internet for prospective members, consulting customers, sponsors or partners and entering them into our CRM system after confirming they are not duplicates. This volunteer position requires approximately 4 hours a week in the FareStart offices. The volunteer would be asked to commit to at least one afternoon or morning per week on an ongoing basis.
- 1-on-1 Mock Interview Volunteer: Our Student Services department is seeking volunteers to conduct mock interviews. We are looking for individuals who will be able to provide a real-life interview experience for students and will be able to identify and communicate the students' strengths and opportunities. This is an invaluable experience for our students and plays a crucial part in their success. The ideal volunteer will have experience hiring and managing in the culinary field. 1-on-1 Mock interviews occur on Wednesday afternoons from 3 to 4 p.m. weekly. Volunteers would be asked to commit to 3 out of 4 weeks per month.
- Shelter Meal Delivery: This is our greatest volunteer need! On a shelter run, you help pack up meals for transportation and deliver them to local homeless shelters, then have an opportunity to serve dinner at the Downtown Emergency Service Center alongside FareStart chefs and students. No driving necessary. Volunteers must be able to lift 50 lbs. Shelter runs happen daily from 3 to 6:30 p.m.
- Trend Spotter & Market Research Volunteer: FareStart is looking for a volunteer to support the Catalyst Kitchens team by searching the internet for upcoming industry events, conferences and identify trends that impact and resources that support members. This role will create a calendar of industry events to support the outreach efforts of the Catalyst Kitchens team. This position requires approximately 4 hours a week. The volunteer would be asked to commit to at least one morning or afternoon per week on an ongoing basis.
- FareStart Media Volunteer: Our Development department is seeking a passionate volunteer to help in the FareStart Development Department. Duties would include organizing, archiving and putting on display recent media articles about FareStart. This position requires approximately 2 hours once per month in the FareStart offices during regular business hours.
- Videographer Volunteer: Our Development department is seeking a videographer to help develop videos for volunteer orientation and donor stewardship. Duties would include filming for the video and editing to a final product. This position requires about 10 hours total in the FareStart offices during regular business hours as well as additional time for editing and video production. The ideal volunteer will have all necessary equipment and software to complete the projects. All candidates must be willing to commit to volunteering for the length of the project which would last approximately 3 months.
- Graduate Photo Volunteer: Our Development department is seeking a volunteer to display graduate photos in the FareStart building. Photos are used for two purposes for display around the FareStart building and for motivation in the computer lab for current students on their job hunt. The volunteer would be responsible for switching out the photos of recent graduates around the building. This position requires approximately 1 hour per month in the FareStart offices during regular business hours.
- Development Support Volunteer: Our Development department is seeking a passionate volunteer to help in the FareStart Development Department. Duties would include organizing, general office tasks, development of internal collateral and special projects. This position requires approximately 4-6 hours every other week in the FareStart offices during regular business hours.
- Nutrition Curriculum Development: We are seeking a volunteer to help develop curriculum to teach the importance of nutrition to the FareStart students. The ideal volunteer will have experience developing curriculum and a background in nutrition. This position would mostly be performed remotely with a few onsite meetings in the FareStart offices during regular business hours.
- FareStart Ambassador Volunteer: We are currently seeking volunteers to act as ambassadors on behalf of FareStart. These volunteers help promote FareStart to the community, engage people and get them excited and informed about FareStart’s work. There are three different types of ambassador volunteers:
- Tabling Volunteer: This volunteer would assist with tabling events—most often linked to workplace giving. Volunteers will be provided with a packet that includes table layouts, FAQ, notes about FareStart, sample spiels and training to prepare them. Events mostly take place during regular business hours around the Seattle area. You would not be required to make every opportunity as there will be several volunteers in this position.
- Touring Volunteer: This volunteer would assist with tours. Volunteers will be provided with notes about FareStart, scripts and sample tours as well as actual shadowing and practice experience. These take place during regular business hours and some on nights and weekends, at FareStart. You would not be required to make every opportunity as there will be several volunteers in this position.
- Spieling Volunteers: This volunteer would assist with public speaking — oftentimes to support fundraising activities, workplace giving and 3rd party benefits. Volunteers will be provided with notes about FareStart, scripts and training. These take place during regular business hours and some on nights and weekends, both at FareStart and around the Seattle Area. You would not be required to make every opportunity as there will be several volunteers in this position.
- Contract Kitchen Volunteer (for individuals and groups): FareStart prepares and delivers meals 365 days a year to several area homeless shelters. Kitchen prep volunteer opportunities take place Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (sometimes ending earlier) on days when we have fewer students. We can take individuals or groups of up to 10 people to help prepare food alongside FareStart's chefs and students.
- Guest Chef Night Volunteering: A weekly highlight for the FareStart community is Thursday Guest Chef Night, held at the FareStart Restaurant at 7th & Virginia. Since 1994, Guest Chef Night has raised more than $5 million, revenue which has gone directly back into our program to support our student job training and placement services. Every Thursday night, a different Guest Chef works with the students to prepare a three-course meal for over 200 guests served at the FareStart Restaurant. Hard-working community volunteers serve the diners and 100% of the proceeds and gratuities from the evening goes back to fund student services and training.
- Individuals: We are actively recruiting for Guest Chef Night Individual Volunteers! Help the FareStart team execute the evening. Roles include: food running, barista, captain (work with community group), hostess … etc. Must be willing to do most roles. Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and stand for 5 hours. Thursdays 4:45-9:45pm Requires an ongoing/long-term commitment of a minimum of once per month.
- Groups(10 people): Booked through 2014, and currently taking names for 2015. Serve the evening’s meal and help fill the restaurant to raise funds for FareStart’s programs! Your hard work is rewarded by a tasty meal. No heavy lifting or previous experience required. Thursdays: 4-10pm.
In addition to these ongoing opportunities we also have one time projects and special events for which we recruit volunteers. Sign up to receive volunteer opportunity updates by email.
To apply for these and other volunteer opportunities, please visit our volunteer registration page.
If you have additional questions on volunteering, please contact FareStart’s Community Engagement Coordinator, Erika Van Merr, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 206-267-6223.
Are you interested in interning with FareStart? We have a number of internships annually.
- Special Event Internships twice per year for each of our major fundraising events.
- Nutritional/Dietetic Internships (the length of this internship varies depending on mutual arrangement).
We do not currently have any other internships available. Our schedule for the special event internship is as follows:
Spring/Summer Special Event Internship:
Internship Period: March 15th –July 1st
Applications accepted until February 15th
Decision: March 1st
Summer/Fall Special Event Internship:
Internship Period: July 15th or 22nd—November 1st
Applications accepted until June 24th
Decision: July 9st
If you are in college, check with your school about receiving academic credit and/or stipend for your internship at FareStart.
Minimum requirements for internships at FareStart:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Able to commit to the full internship period 15 to 30 hours per week for 10-16 weeks
- Able to lift 50 lbs
- Show a high level of interest in related fields such as food justice, homeless issues, poverty, nutrition, hunger, social enterprise model, fundraising, special events and/or education
- Provide at least 3 professional references
To apply, send a cover letter and resumé to:
Attn: Volunteer Program
700 Virginia Street
Seattle, WA 98101
Fax: (206) 441-7543
FareStart also seeks dynamic individuals for part time and full time paid positions. Please refer to our Employment Opportunities