FareStart is fortunate to be the recipient of the hard work of our talented and dedicated volunteers. Volunteers provide invaluable assistance to FareStart with special events, benefits, shelter delivery runs, serving on strategic committees, and other special projects throughout the organization. A few hours a week can make a tremendous difference!
To begin volunteering:
- Attend an optional 30 minute volunteer info session at 7th & Virginia, offered every Monday at 4 p.m. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP.
- Identify how you would like to volunteer with us. Either by attending the volunteer info session or by looking at the opportunities listed below.
- Create an account with our volunteer scheduling and management website. This is required in order to sign up to volunteer.
- Begin volunteering.
Important Notes - Please Read:
- All volunteers must sign up in advance of volunteering. Please do not show up without signing up; if you do you may be turned away.
- We do not accept volunteers under the age of 18 on site.
- We are not accepting court-ordered community service volunteers at this time.
We are currently recruiting for these volunteer opportunities:
- Ambassador: We are currently seeking volunteers to act as ambassadors on behalf of FareStart. These volunteers help promote FareStart to the community, engage people and get them excited and informed about FareStart’s work. Ongoing on a mutually agreed as needed basis. There are three different types of ambassador volunteers:
- Touring Volunteer: This volunteer would assist with tours. Volunteers will be provided with notes about FareStart, scripts and sample tours as well as actual shadowing and practice experience. These take place during regular business hours and some on nights and weekends, at FareStart. You would not be required to make every opportunity as there will be several volunteers in this position.
- Spieling Volunteer: This volunteer would assist with public speaking — oftentimes to support fundraising activities, workplace giving and 3rd party benefits (launch parties, concerts...etc). Volunteers will be provided with notes about FareStart, scripts and training. These take place during regular business hours and some on nights and weekends, both at FareStart and around the Seattle Area. You would not be required to make every opportunity as there will be several volunteers in this position.
- Tabling Volunteer: This volunteer would assist with tabling events—most often linked to workplace giving. Volunteers will be provided with a packet that includes table layouts, FAQ, notes about FareStart, sample spiels and training to prepare them. Events mostly take place during regular business hours around the Seattle area. You would not be required to make every opportunity as there will be several volunteers in this position.
- Shelter Meal Delivery: This is our greatest volunteer need! On a shelter run, you help pack up meals for transportation and deliver them to local homeless shelters, then have an opportunity to serve dinner at the Downtown Emergency Service Center alongside FareStart chefs and students. No driving necessary. Volunteers must be able to lift 50 lbs. Shelter runs happen Monday through Friday from 3 to 6:30 p.m., and Saturdays and Sundays from 2 to 6:30 p.m.. One-time or ongoing i.e. volunteer as often as you like.
- Kitchen Prep: FareStart prepares and delivers meals 365 days a year to several area homeless shelters. We can take individuals or groups of up to 10 people to help prepare food alongside FareStart's chefs and students. Kitchen prep volunteer opportunities take place Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (sometimes ending earlier) on days when we have fewer students. One-time or ongoing i.e. volunteer as often as you like.
- NEW! Computer Lab: In the computer lab, we help students build resumes, write cover letters, perform job searches and learn basic functions of MS Word. With one-on-one attention from a long-term volunteer in the lab, men and women have a greater opportunity to find meaningful work in our community. We are seeking a volunteer for Thursday afternoons, 3 to 4pm at the FareStart building on 7th and Virginia. This is an ongoing, weekly volunteer opportunity with a minimum 6 month commitment.
- Guest Chef Night Volunteering: A weekly highlight for the FareStart community is Thursday Guest Chef Night, held at the FareStart Restaurant at 7th & Virginia. Since 1994, Guest Chef Night has raised more than $5 million, revenue which has gone directly back into our program to support our student job training and placement services. Every Thursday night, a different Guest Chef works with the students to prepare a three-course meal for over 200 guests served at the FareStart Restaurant. Hard-working community volunteers serve the diners and 100% of the proceeds and donations from the evening goes back to fund student services and training.
- Individuals: We are actively recruiting for Guest Chef Night Individual Volunteers! Help the FareStart team execute the evening. Roles include: food running, barista, captain (work with community group), hostess … etc. Must be willing to do most roles. Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and stand for 5 hours. Thursdays 4:45 to 9:45 p.m. Ongoing, once or twice per month.
- Groups(9 people): Serve the evening’s meal and help fill the restaurant to raise funds for FareStart’s programs! Your hard work is rewarded by a tasty meal. No heavy lifting or previous experience required. Thursdays: 4 to 10 p.m. Please email email@example.com for more information.
- FareStart’s Great Food, Better Lives Gala Auction: A special event on October 4, 2015 to raise vital funds to support FareStart's job training programs for homeless and disadvantaged individuals. We have individual or group volunteer positions on the days leading up to the event. Event evening shifts begin between 2:30 and 5:30 p.m. and end between 6:30 and 10:30 p.m. depending on your role.
- CRM Expert: We are looking for a highly skilled CRM volunteer to aid us in working on our custom databases. Duties include improving, troubleshooting and training employees on their respective database. This position requires being an experienced user of CRM programs and the ability to write code. This position would be an on-call position with mutually agreed upon times for each project. This position takes place both remotely and at two different FareStart locations: 7th & Virginia and Pacific Tower (1200 12th Ave S). Ongoing, as needed.
More questions? Please see our Volunteer FAQ.
To begin volunteering at FareStart, please visit our volunteer scheduling and management website and create an account. If you have additional questions on volunteering, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 206-267-7614.